You know you want it...
It's a chocolate brownie flavored with orange rind. When I first made it, I swore I would never share the recipe. But here I am...sharing it....
The recipe is easy. Just add the ingredients gradually while beating, pour into a pan and bake.
Dark Orange DBB
makes 8 to 10 servings
175g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp grated orange rind
50g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
175g self-raising flour
55g dark chocolate
30g butter margarine
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar)
½ tsp grated orange rind
orange juice, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and line a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (a few minutes)
3. Add eggs into butter-sugar mixture, one at a time, while beating
4. Slowly add the cocoa powder (it can get all over your face!) and beat to combine. Add orange rind.
5. Add flour until well-mixed
6. Pour batter evenly into cake pan and bake 45-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out almost clean.
7. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling
*Because this recipe calls for quite a bit of continuous beating of the batter, you might be happier to use an electric mixer. I hardly use mine because I’d rather beat the mixture by hand than wash up all the parts of the electric mixer!
To make the icing:
1. Melt the chocolate and margarine together in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water
2. Add the orange rind then the confectioner’s sugar and stir
3. The icing should be of a spreadable consistency, but not runny.
4. Add enough orange juice to get it to the suitable consistency. If it is too runny, add more confectioner's sugar
5. Spread on the cooled brownie and refrigerate. The icing will harden upon refrigeration.