Approx 270kcals per portion without oil
200g chicken breast, diced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper/chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper/chilli powder (or more if you like)
1 TBSP vegetable oil (or cooking spray)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
300g tomatoes, chopped (fresh or canned)
1 cup green capsicum, diced
1/4 cup water
salt, as required
1 tsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and stir well to coat the chicken. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
2. Combine the next 5 ingredients (the spices) in a small bowl/dish.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and stir. After 2 minutes, add the minced garlic.
4. Cook the onions and garlic until softened, about 4 minutes. Don't let the garlic burn!
5. Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until lightly browned.
6. Now add the tomatoes and spices and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add 1/8 cup of water to the pan, bring the pan to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low.
8. After 10 minutes, check on the curry and add more water if it looks too dry.
9. Add the capsicum to the pan then cover and leave to cook for a further 10 minutes.
10. Lift the lid and savour the aroma of your curry. Give it a taste taste and add some salt if required.
11. Turn off the heat then stir in the butter and lemon juice.
Serve with rice, naan, chapati or whatever floats your boat!