Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ham, leek & mushroom filo pie

     Dinner this evening was a homemade pie. I had some filo pastry in the freezer so I decided to use that instead of potatoes to top the pie. The sauce was made with my usual shortcut white sauce. Look for my 'No-fail, Low-fat White Sauce' recipe
     Filo pastry is a good alternative to shortcrust or puff pastry, if you are concerned with the fat content in your food. It is also versatile in the sense that it can be used for sweet or savoury dishes such as apple strudel, baked chocolate parcels, spring rolls and so on. So if you like filo pastry, be assured that you can store it in the freezer, as long as the sheets of pastry are separated so that you can remove what you need from the freezer. To use frozen filo, simply thaw the frozen pastry in your refrigerator for a few hours.
      I'm not a big fan of filo because it can be so brittle and, hence, tedious to work with. It's good on a pie when you don't need it to look pretty. But for things like samosas, torn filo pastry can be a pain to work with.

My pie bubbled over while baking

Ham, Leek & Mushroom filo pie
makes one 9-inch pie OR 2 smaller individual pies

1 tsp vegetable oil
400g cooked chopped ham
1 cup sliced mushrooms (or more)
250g leeks, sliced thinly
2/3 cup grated carrot, optional
(just to add more nutrition)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper

4 or 5 sheets filo pastry
1 TBSP butter/margarine, melted

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare white sauce.
2.  Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
3. When oil is hot, add the leeks and mushrooms and sauté till the mushrooms are browned.
4. Add the carrot and ham to the pan and sauté for another 2 minutes.
5. Stir the white sauce and thyme into the pan of sautéed ham & vegetables. 
6. Bring the pan to a simmer then turn off the heat. 
7. Check seasonings, add salt and pepper if necessary. I usually use a lot of pepper.
8. Pour the pie filling into your pie dish/dishes. 



9. Get your melted butter ready and lay one layer of filo pastry on the pie filling. You can tear or scrunch the pastry up to make it fit the pie dish.
10. Using a pastry brush, brush butter on the pastry.
11. Repeat the pastry and butter layers until all your pastry is used up.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
13. Leave to sit for 10 minutes (just so that the pie isn't too hot) then serve!




Voila!

I made 2 individual pies because I like having a WHOLE pie


     Lately, I've been making individual pies instead of one bigger pie.  I use a small oven-safe dish (about 20cm diameter) for myself and a slightly bigger Pyrex dish for my husband. I like having my own pie to eat at my own pace. Enjoy your pie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment